by Bryant Jordan on May 9, 2013

Seven weeks after a night time training program in Nevada turned
deadly for seven Marines, three officers with command responsibility, or
oversight of the training mission, have been fired.

The Marine
battalion commander, its Alpha Company commander and a warrant officer
were relieved of duty on Wednesday, according to Marine Corps Times,
which first reported the news. Seven Marines died from the explosion on
the night of March 18 at Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada when a 60mm
mortar round exploded in a mortar tube. Eight other Marines were

The incident remains under
investigation but the dismissal of Lt. Col. Andrew McNulty, Capt. Kelby
Breivogel and Chief Warrant Officer 3 Douglas Derring, the battalion’s
infantry weapons officer, are based on preliminary findings, the paper

Lt. Oliver David, a spokesman at Camp Lejeune, N.C.,
where the Marine unit is based, told the Associated Press on Wednesday
that no charges are expected to be filed against any of the officers.
According to the Times report, all three remain on active duty, though
it is not clear what their next assignments will be.

Killed in the
explosion were Pfc. Joshua M. Martino, 19; Lance Cpl. David P. Fenn II,
20; Lance Cpl. Roger W. Muchnick Jr., 23; Lance Cpl. Joshua C. Taylor,
21; Lance Cpl. Mason J. Vanderwork, 21; Lance Cpl. William T. Wild IV,
21; and Cpl. Aaron J. Ripperda, 26.

At the time of the accident
the Marines were assigned to Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training
Center in Bridgeport, Calif., and were wrapping up winter mountain

After the accident the Corps immediately suspended
worldwide use of the M224A1 60mm mortar system involved in the accident.
The military’s Joint Munitions Command at Rock Island, Ill., suspended
the lots of ammo fired at the Nevada depot pending the investigation’s
completion. The moratorium, which remains in place, included an
exception for discretionary use by battlefield commanders.

had taken command of the Lejeune-based 1st Bn., 9th Marines, less than a
year ago. Brig. Gen. James Lukeman, commanding general of 2nd Marine
Division, the battalion’s parent command, made the determination to fire
the three. Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Peter Koerner told Marine Corps
Times that McNulty was relieved due to a “loss of confidence in his
ability to continue to lead the battalion.”

Battalion Executive
Officer Maj. Thomas Siverts has been put in charge until a new commander
is selected, which should take several weeks, according to Koerner. The
leadership change is not expected to affect the battalion’s scheduled
deployment to Afghanistan at the end of this year, Koerner told the

At the time of the accident the Marines were close to
wrapping up winter mountain training at the Marine Corps Mountain
Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, Calif.


  1. Stumps, November 1981. My FAC team is attached to Alpha 1/8, and they’re attacking the tire town. Wpns Plt has M-60s set up on a ridge to provide covering fire for the advancing Grunts. Somebody shoots low, onto the Marines. Pandemonium ensues, guys screaming, medavacs, how can this happen, this is training. 3 dead, 4 wounded. Long flight back to Cherry Point. When the dust settles, the Co. CO, Wpns Plt. CO, and the Plt. Sgt. all get busted. It happens. SF.

  2. Killed in the explosion were…
    Pfc. Joshua M. Martino, 19
    Lance Cpl. David P. Fenn II, 20
    Lance Cpl. Roger W. Muchnick Jr., 23
    Lance Cpl. Joshua C. Taylor, 21
    Lance Cpl. Mason J. Vanderwork, 21
    Lance Cpl. William T. Wild IV, 21
    Cpl. Aaron J. Ripperda, 26
    Rest In Peace Warriors
    Prayers out for all those that love you and miss you.

Leave a Reply