A team of about 50 Marines has been dispatched to Libya and two
Navy guided missile destroyers are being deployed off the cost, after
attacks Tuesday on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi left four Americans
dead, including the U.S. ambassador, military officials told Fox News.
Officials said a Marine "fast team" is being sent from the U.S. Naval
base in Rota, Spain. They are expected to go to Tripoli. According to a
U.S. official, there are no U.S. personnel left at the consulate in
Benghazi which was attacked.
A U.S. military aircraft is also expected to leave Libya soon with the dead and wounded onboard.
The move comes after President Obama ordered "all necessary
resources" provided to Libya to support the security of U.S. personnel
in the country.
In a statement, Obama also said he's directed his administration to
"increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe."
Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other American staff members were killed in the attacks Tuesday.
U.S. posts are on alert amid protests, so far in Libya and Egypt, over a film that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad.
A senior military official clarified Wednesday that despite some reports, no Marines were killed in the Tuesday attack.
The destroyers are for "contingency purposes," another military official said.
Fox News' Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report.